Do not clean the entire house when you find head lice. Head lice are a blood-sucking parasite that need your head to survive. They do not infest the house like fleas or bed bugs! If a louse is off of your head, it is purely by accident. They need your body temperature and blood to survive. If they are off of your head, they are either dead or dying. They dehydrate very fast, and cannot survive longer than 24-48 hours off of the head.. So, what do you need to clean and do around the house?
1. Wash the immediate bedding of the people who have a head lice infestation. Stuffed animals, pillows, etc. can go in the dryer on high heat for 30 minutes. The heat will kill anything that is there.
2. Put combs, hair ties, headbands, etc. in a Ziploc baggy in the freezer for 3 hours. The extreme temperatures will kill anything present on these items. After 3 hours, remove the Ziploc bag and pull off the excess hair in the combs.
3. If it is going to make you feel better, you can throw a sheet over the couch for 24 hours or you can vacuum the couch. Again, head lice do not infest the house and there is about a 1% chance they would even be found on the couch or anywhere in the house but your head. You can lint roll your head rests in the car as well if that will put your mind at ease.