Adult head lice are about the size of a single grain of rice.. So, how can you identify head lice and how do you know if its head lice and not just dandruff?
- A proper lice comb (metal with micro-grooving) Plastic Lice combs will not get the job done and often miss nits in the hair.
- Hair brush or comb to detangle and part the hair.
- Repellant spray
- White Paper Towels
Identifying Head Lice:
- Wash or dampen the hair.
- Detangle the hair and make sure it is wet enough to pull your lice comb completely through the end of the hair strands.
- Mist the repellant spray through the hair.
- Comb through sections of the hair with your lice comb. Make sure that you are touching the scalp and applying moderate pressure.
- Wipe your lice comb on a paper towel after every 2 or 3 swipes in the hair.
- Examine the contents of the paper towel.
Helpful Tip: Nits are glued onto the hair strand. If you see something suspicious, lightly flick it. If it moves, it is NOT a nit. If it doesn’t move, it could be a nit.
Examples of What You’re Looking for:
- Actual Size of Head Lice (headlicespecialist.wordpress.com)
- Your child has head lice, now what? (headlicespecialist.wordpress.com)
- Do I Clean the Couches When there is a Head Lice Infestation? (headlicespecialist.wordpress.com)